Tags

I had been meaning to do this for a long time and even bought the paints more than a year ago. I finally got around to trying it today. I followed the instructions on this blog.

Here is the fabric in its original state – a badly mottled scrap of 40ct Dauphin that I found while puttering around in the HDF factory. Instead of the packing paper recommended on that blog, I cut up a paper grocery bag and used that instead.

IMG_1614sm

Original mix was Coco and Parchment White, but it seemed too light, so I kept mixing different colors until I was satisfied with the shade.

IMG_1616sm

Testing the colors as I went along. The color at the far right is where I had started.

IMG_1618sm

Painted the fabric and then rolled it up and scrunched the paper. Set the timer for 45 minutes.

IMG_1619sm

Rinsed thoroughly after 45 minutes, hung to dry until damp, then laid on a terry towel, covered with muslin, and ironed until dry. It turned out lighter than I wanted, but it’s okay because I think it will still work for my sampler.

IMG_1624sm

Here is how it looks near the sunlight:

IMG_1630sm

Advertisements